Must say that I'm okay with this new feature. There are new commanders who struggle with the docking part of ED. I will not get one unless I get a very big ship and maybe even here I'll like the manual docking part. To keep the interest on ED lets not write it off, lets embrace it and welcome the new feature for those who want to have it in their ship.

I'll not be using docking computers but I don't mind them being there as an option for players who prefer it.

Personally speaking, docking is one of those very enjoyable elements to the game, it's immersive and although very easy and quick I get lots of pleasure out of such a simple task.

I'm glad to see that Frontier have kept the majority of the game content manual which is the way it should be in my opinion, sadly this can not be said of many other game companies that dumb down manual input to a ridiculous level ...

Future gaming scenario for the auto-players ...

1. Buy Game
2. Install Game
3. Choose Character Name
4. Opening Screen "Congratulations, you have completed the game"
5. Would you like to play again?

Surreal and exaggerated I know but it makes you wonder about the level of player input sometimes :rolleyes:

:D

I'll not be using docking computers but I don't mind them being there as an option for players who prefer it.

Personally speaking, docking is one of those very enjoyable elements to the game, it's immersive and although very easy and quick I get lots of pleasure out of such a simple task.

I'm glad to see that Frontier have kept the majority of the game content manual which is the way it should be in my opinion, sadly this can not be said of many other game companies that dumb down manual input to a ridiculous level ...

Future gaming scenario for the auto-players ...

1. Buy Game
2. Install Game
3. Choose Character Name
4. Opening Screen "Congratulations, you have completed the game"
5. Would you like to play again?

Surreal and exaggerated I know but it makes you wonder about the level of player input sometimes :rolleyes:

:D

you forgot step 3.5; 20mins of character customisation :p

Docking Computer

hello,
has anyone yet tested the new docking computer?
How does it work and what does it do?

I don't want to "waste" money on it because I am not sure if I would like it, so i wanted to ask here first.
Thanks!

If I remember rightly, the docking computer in the original was virtually the first ship's system to get trashed in a dog-fight, is this still the case or has it been made a bit more hardy?

It took me quite a while to "get" docking. But now that I've got it nailed down, I don't see the need to ever invest in a docking computer... Especially as Salvatory says... there's enough obstacles some times to require manual intervention!

Jon474

Banned
When I first started flying under PB I really wanted a docking computer - mainly because used to have one back in '84. After a few very comical (for a casual observer) docking and landing attempts I realised that I didn't actually need one - in fact docking is great fun and I just love flying into the station entrance and swooping down on to my landing pad, it is so satisfying to do. However, it is inconceivable that flight automation devices would not exist in the Game World in 3300 and so items like the docking computer must be available. I think of these items in the same way that a Winnebago owner/driver must think about equivalent items in 2014 - anything to make their life easier and more comfortable or convenient. Comfort and convenience do not always equate to efficiency or speed, I guess.

I thought I would buy a DockComp straight away in Beta1 but I'm no longer sure I will. Yes, they should be cheap. Yes, they should take up a valuable utility slot. Yes, to lots more items along these lines because this is exactly what will happen in the future.

I don't pick up my Sidewinder's keys until Friday night but already I cannot wait.

Fly safely.
Jon

Main application I can see for the docking computer is the ability to get within range, switch it on, then go make a cuppa or grab a cold drink from the fridge, perhaps take another bite of your sandwich, or a bit of choccy, perhaps some crisps. And if you need the loo - this is the perfect time and game mechanic to make it all a bit more convenient.

Anyway, I see it as providing a nice little interlude to do such things. And it only breaks the 'immersion' if you choose to do so - so a nice option to have IMHO.

:D sure i can imagine that the computer docks for you then :D
but i wanted to know how. do i have to hove over the docking field or does it fly into the station autom. ?

yeah docking can be fun, thats why i dont wanted to spend money just for trying it out

I'm not far off that.... Done docking at top speed in an L9 as well :D

Okay. Leave the station and travel to 5km out, facing away from the station. You have to flip, travel the 5km and land on the pad to claim it.

Remember, video or it didn't happen...

Last edited:
okay so i just saw a video of how it works but... can i decide if i switch it on or off or does it auto. dock always then?

Thanks for the info Michael.

Don't you deserve a day off after yesterday? :)

David Braben is a hard man to please so its unlikely Michael or any of the other devs will be getting a day off. I'm sure that Michael would welcome that pay rise he mentioned recently though ;)

Top Bottom