I was grinning like an idiot when the blue danube kicked in, and it's nice that I'm a better pilot than the computer too, quicker and less likely to scrape the hull on touchdown.

Hi, What mission and where from please :D

No Mission. It's a ship upgrade that costs 4,500 cr and is available at all stations with a sufficient tech level.
To use it is simple: get into station range, request docking and throttle down. The docking computer with then take over.

I still do what I did on original Elite --- line up and whizz in superfast when the rotation is correct.

I suspect will need to be a lot more careful when I get a new bigger ship though!

Had to try it, then the music kicked, well worth the credits
Still to see if it pays attention to the traffic, had more than 1 npc ship stop just in front of the airlock and had to maneuver round them to get in, so hopefully the DC will do the same

No Mission. It's a ship upgrade that costs 4,500 cr and is available at all stations with a sufficient tech level.
To use it is simple: get into station range, request docking and throttle down. The docking computer with then take over.

all its for auto docking? yep im getting one

Sound issues with docking computer

I had to get one to test it out and of course hear the Blue Danube. Well it does play it, but there is an annoying ticking or maybe suppose to be static like effect while playing. It just isn't needed if it is deliberate to make you think the music is interference from electrical devices on the ship. I get no ticking for other music or effects just on the one song I would like to hear in full fidelity while docking.

The docking computer you need to be almost stopped for it to activate and you need to be facing the entrance or at least have it in sight. It works well enough, in fact I thought I was about to hit a ship in the slot but it took me over the top of it. It isn't fast and it is auto, so unless you take it offline in control panel it activated on landing request accepted. I would like to make it a hot key want it on, hit the key, disengage press it again. Like in the original Elite. A nice novelty and cheap enough that people having docking issues can get one easy enough. I am much faster without it, but will use it for the music. Now make the music an option to play or not when requesting landing permission with a docking computer even if you put it offline would be a nice option as well for us old timers.

Calebe

I still do what I did on original Elite --- line up and whizz in superfast when the rotation is correct.

I suspect will need to be a lot more careful when I get a new bigger ship though!

You didn't have other players using docks in the original, if you play online a lead foot is likely to make you more enemies than friends.

On the site of ED, one of the characteristics listed for the game is: "Docking computers to assist with safe landings"

5874863.jpg

:)

Sad docking computers made it

Docking is a skill and a part of the immersion IMHO. It will be such a shame if all you need to do when getting near a spaceport is to press a button to dock and land. It's almost as bad as a cut sequence. I was hoping that docking computers would be such a stupid price to install and also cost a fortune to use that anyone with sense would learn to fly. Only exception being docking assist for the larger ships giving you clearance information going through the slot etc.

Docking is a skill and a part of the immersion IMHO. It will be such a shame if all you need to do when getting near a spaceport is to press a button to dock and land. It's almost as bad as a cut sequence. I was hoping that docking computers would be such a stupid price to install and also cost a fortune to use that anyone with sense would learn to fly. Only exception being docking assist for the larger ships giving you clearance information going through the slot etc.

Prices is not final, it will take considerable amount of time to get docking computer AND having to complete docking procedure so many times can be tedious in the end.

Don't worry, it will be balanced. And remember, not all stations will support docking computers.

Top Bottom