I don't think so. XX was just impossible combination for zx-spectrum name generator and was used as placeholder for something like numbers added or any chars. That's why it was used in promotion. Author just invented nice sound name which will not happen 100% in any random galaxy in game.

The origin of the word Raxxla predates Elite 1984 by quite a bit, as it appears in the same author's work 'The Alien World' published in 1980. He probably just re-used it 'cause he liked it.. names can be hard for authors.

Last edited:
If the "To" is the separator, there are three steps. That sounds resonnable.

The toast is used by the Dark Wheel. The Dark Wheel has yet to find Raxxla, so the 'map' is most likely not complete.
  • The Jewel sounds pretty concrete. I suspect they know that one.
  • The Whisper / Siren may be a location or an action that has to be taken (while in the Jewel system?)
  • Raxxla is the goal. It's not a real step. Figure out the fir two and you are there.

Example of possible interpretation:
  • Find the Jewel (we may need TDW's help on theis one)
  • Jump from the Jewel to all neighbouring systems and listen for strange sounds in witchspace.
  • Use sound data (strength and direction) to map a direction.
  • Go back to jewel and supercruise in that direction until you hit gold. :)
you led me to a brilliant idea that in principle allows us to start looking for something more specific!
Recently I read a book by balad about beta-2 and what you wrote gave me this thought:
A nebula is usually called a pearl or a jewel (translation difficulties, but not the essence), which means that the first line speaks of some specific nebula, the idea has just been born, so I don't know which one. But I dare to suggest that one of the options may be a nebula that is visible from the SOL.
the toast can be rephrased as follows:
1. need nebula name
2.go there
3. there you will find something.

upd - nebula cassiopeia?

I've had similar thoughts that Raxxla is likely the sole focus of the toast so every part might be describing an aspect of Raxxla rather than a way to get to it.

1. To the jewel that burns on the brow of the mother of galaxiesA description of Raxxla itself?
2. To the whisperer in witchspace, the siren of the deepest void'Whisperer' (note: singular) implies that it is one thing within Witchspace itself eminating a signal or communication of some kind - perhaps a link to Thargoids or something inhabiting this subspace tunnel.
3. The parent's grief, the lover's woe, and the yearning of our vagabond heartsThis seems to infer loss as if to say that Raxxla takes away something of great value - parent's grief of losing a child, lover's woe of losing a partner. If the Dark Wheel are still in search of Raxxla then its members would have sacrificed a lot in search of it. Perhaps Raxxla requires a sacrifice of some kind - or that it is powered by Witchspace itself.

raxxla.jpg
suspicious maybe

Have you ever looked at the cargo of ships going to Witch's reach? I had the thought last night that maybe a specific combination of cargo is needed to try to access hidden areas in the game. I was looking at others talk about "a door that is also a key", and I came to the conclusion that there is a material in-game that fits that descriptor - Meta-alloys.

Meta-alloys are the material used by Thargoids presumably in the manufacturing and operation of their vessels. In a sense, they are the key to the power that they exude, but it is also the doorway to Thargoid Witchspace, accessible only when a Goid vessel high wakes out of the system. Just my two cents. Raxxla's on my mind
Scanned a few ships jumping to Witch's Reach; one Orca with tourists and one Sidewinder with Wine and Tritium onboard. No Meta-Alloy spotted.

Edit: A lot of LTD's being delivered to the station though.

Last edited:
everyone is in the pilots fed .. have you ever come across an npc that doesn't have a rank? no. they're all in the pilots fed.

permit system is ubiquitous. it's part of the ship. Not the pilot. it works for everyone.

you can conclude one of the following.
1. The ship has the permit.
2. The ship has a way around permits they're not sharing with you.
3. Fdev has crappy programming that allows things that shouldn't happen happen (like being able to acquire docking privs from any distance)

Not to dampen current discussions, since I really do buy into the idea that Raxxla is easier to find than we're making it out to be, but I was thinking today about the "Mother of galaxies" part. Consider seeking nebulas, they're commonly referred to as the "birthplace of stars" and quite literally give birth to galaxies over time.

Have you ever looked at the cargo of ships going to Witch's reach? I had the thought last night that maybe a specific combination of cargo is needed to try to access hidden areas in the game. I was looking at others talk about "a door that is also a key", and I came to the conclusion that there is a material in-game that fits that descriptor - Meta-alloys.

Meta-alloys are the material used by Thargoids presumably in the manufacturing and operation of their vessels. In a sense, they are the key to the power that they exude, but it is also the doorway to Thargoid Witchspace, accessible only when a Goid vessel high wakes out of the system. Just my two cents. Raxxla's on my mind
I like this idea but being one of the “you could do it from the beginning” believer it could be Soontil relics, trinkets or or sap8?

I like this idea but being one of the “you could do it from the beginning” believer it could be Soontil relics, trinkets or or sap8?

Do you have a reference for that “you could do it from the beginning” quote?

A lot of things about Raxxla have been quoted but proven to be urban myths/misunderstandings/misinterpretation/trolls, so we try to keep a record of all the things he really said.

edit: to be clear, I think he actually said "Raxxla has been in-game since the gamma", however that is logically not the same as "Raxxla has been accessible since the gamma". However my own personal opinion is that Raxxla is his own Easter Egg and tribute to Robert Holdstock, and I don't think it makes any sense at all for Raxxla to be in-game but not accessible; so I don't think it's hidden behind a permit lock or by any other mechanism unless there is a gameplay path to gain that permit...I actually suspect it is somewhere obvious but I do think FD are over-fond of RNG criteria and suspect that Raxxla will in practice be a bit of a pain to locate.

Last edited:
So, I'll admit, I am fairly new to the Raxxla stuff, I've mainly been doing the normal stuff in the game, exploring for rank and mining. I got to a bit of a "dead end" in as much that I didn't know what to do next, and I started to unlock the guardian stuff, which leads to more interest in joining the Thargoid war etc. and naturally you come across Raxxla. I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot, but I'm still processing a lot of what I read. I tend to agree, it's probably far easier than is generally thought and that FDev havent released it into game yet.

With that said, I was discussing the game with someone totally blank, someone who's never played it. And I was saying, that the more you dig the more you appreciate the work to the stories FDev have put in and that there are a lot of instances where Greek Mythology comes up. I said in a throwaway line "I wonder what the Odyssey expansion will do, I wonder if it will move the story forward". The reply was a raised eyebrow and said "Odyssey, as in Homer's poem, the Odyssey".

Now, this has got me thinking....

Is Raxxla, a settlement of remaining Guardians, who fought in the Thargoid wars (or other war)? Or did the Guardians think of the Thargoids as gods?
- The story of Odyssey begins at the end of the Trojan War, where the King, Odysseus, has not yet returned, because he angered Poseidon. (This is where I am thinking Thargoid War or Thargoids as gods)

Or is Raxxla, a Guardian living among us?
- In Homer's Odyssey, Odysseus returns to Troy and lives for a period undercover. During the telling of the Trojan Horse story he reveals himself. Then shares his stories about his return to Troy.
-- The Thargoids are interested in occupied escape pods, are they trying to find the Guardian?

In the story of his return, Odysseus speaks of a cave, in a lush uninhabited island, where he and his men enter a cave with all the food they can eat. On return home Polyphemus seals the cave and starts to eat his men, they devise an escape plan and flee. Could Polyphemus in the story be a Thargoid in the game and then Thargoids are now looking for Raxxla (Odysseus)?

In Homer's Odyssey, Odysseus tells his story to the Phaeacians, who offer him treasure, before the treasure is hidden in a nearby cave. Could these be the theorised aliens we have yet to meet?

The Guardian Sites are grouped, like a "Guardian Bubble", so I wonder if there is anything that indicates a final war that they had, do we know why they abandonded their settlements? Perhaps a search between the Guardian Bubble and the last war area might show up something... Maybe the Cone Sector is the site of this war? (Dunno just speculating now)

So, I'll admit, I am fairly new to the Raxxla stuff, I've mainly been doing the normal stuff in the game, exploring for rank and mining. I got to a bit of a "dead end" in as much that I didn't know what to do next, and I started to unlock the guardian stuff, which leads to more interest in joining the Thargoid war etc. and naturally you come across Raxxla. I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot, but I'm still processing a lot of what I read. I tend to agree, it's probably far easier than is generally thought and that FDev havent released it into game yet.

With that said, I was discussing the game with someone totally blank, someone who's never played it. And I was saying, that the more you dig the more you appreciate the work to the stories FDev have put in and that there are a lot of instances where Greek Mythology comes up. I said in a throwaway line "I wonder what the Odyssey expansion will do, I wonder if it will move the story forward". The reply was a raised eyebrow and said "Odyssey, as in Homer's poem, the Odyssey".

Now, this has got me thinking....

Is Raxxla, a settlement of remaining Guardians, who fought in the Thargoid wars (or other war)? Or did the Guardians think of the Thargoids as gods?
- The story of Odyssey begins at the end of the Trojan War, where the King, Odysseus, has not yet returned, because he angered Poseidon. (This is where I am thinking Thargoid War or Thargoids as gods)

Or is Raxxla, a Guardian living among us?
- In Homer's Odyssey, Odysseus returns to Troy and lives for a period undercover. During the telling of the Trojan Horse story he reveals himself. Then shares his stories about his return to Troy.
-- The Thargoids are interested in occupied escape pods, are they trying to find the Guardian?

In the story of his return, Odysseus speaks of a cave, in a lush uninhabited island, where he and his men enter a cave with all the food they can eat. On return home Polyphemus seals the cave and starts to eat his men, they devise an escape plan and flee. Could Polyphemus in the story be a Thargoid in the game and then Thargoids are now looking for Raxxla (Odysseus)?

In Homer's Odyssey, Odysseus tells his story to the Phaeacians, who offer him treasure, before the treasure is hidden in a nearby cave. Could these be the theorised aliens we have yet to meet?

The Guardian Sites are grouped, like a "Guardian Bubble", so I wonder if there is anything that indicates a final war that they had, do we know why they abandonded their settlements? Perhaps a search between the Guardian Bubble and the last war area might show up something... Maybe the Cone Sector is the site of this war? (Dunno just speculating now)
Welcome to the thread! (and to the forums, judging from the join date! :D )

Some good questions you've got, but a bit of filling in of info would probably be useful.

Let me try to bring you up to speed on a few bits of key info (which you may or may not already know).

Guardian and Thargoid background info:

• The mainstream of Guardian civilisation died out around 2 Million years ago (source: out-of-game - David Braben)
  • That happened as a result of a civilisation spanning, 100 year long civil war (their second as an interstellar species). They largely wiped themselves out in the war, and the survivors of the war were then finished off by the Guardian's AIs. (source: in-game - Ram Tah missions and codex)
  • There are two 'fate unknown' parts of the Guardian civilisation; their AIs, and a group of Guardians who were exiled in their first civil war as an interstellar civilisation. The exiles were Guardian's who'd adopted brain implants, and were part of a nascent biological/AI singularity before it was stopped after a backlash from other parts of the Guardian civilisation (which in essence is what their first civil war was). (source: in-game - Ram Tah missions and codex)
  • Prior to the second civil war, the Guardians had a conflict with the Thargoids. This happened after the Guardians occupied a region of space that the Thargoids had seeded with Barnacles previously, to which the Thargoids then returned to find it occupied by the Guardians. (source: in-game - Ram Tah missions and codex)
  • The Thargoids hadn't arrived expecting a conflict, and though they gained grounds initially, the Guardians won the conflict. (source: in-game - Ram Tah missions and codex)

Other key Thargoid info:

• The Thargoids have their own equivalent of what Raxxla is for us - Soontill
  • Soontill was essentially a very advanced Thargoid planet that was somehow lost by them
  • Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 is a system of significance for the Thargoids (they use it as a positional reference point, and the distance between that system and Merope is used by them as a measure of distance), but we don't know why, or what's there.
Other key info:
  • Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 is effectively right on the boundary of the main Guardian bubble
We (players) had predicted that there had been a Thargoid-Guardian territorial crossover/conflict well before it came out in game via the Ram Tah missions. This was based on the point above, along with an apparent lack of Guardian sites in the Guardian bubble towards that area (and/or the Witchhead Nebula). The prediction then got further substantial supporting evidence when the hostile reaction of Thargoid tech to Guardian tech was later observed in game.

See post covering the extent of the main Guardian bubble here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-8860772

Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 is approximately at the 7 o'clock point on the circle. (It's actually effectively inside the circle slightly as the circle represents a sphere, and Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 is at a point on the underside of the sphere, if that makes sense).

(This might all be slightly OT for the Raxxla thread, but who knows! It's all info, anyway, and there's no telling what is and isn't connected! :D )

Welcome to the thread! (and to the forums, judging from the join date! :D )

Some good questions you've got, but a bit of filling in of info would probably be useful.

Let me try to bring you up to speed on a few bits of key info (which you may or may not already know).

Guardian and Thargoid background info:

• The mainstream of Guardian civilisation died out around 2 Million years ago (source: out-of-game - David Braben)
  • That happened as a result of a civilisation spanning, 100 year long civil war (their second as an interstellar species). They largely wiped themselves out in the war, and the survivors of the war were then finished off by the Guardian's AIs. (source: in-game - Ram Tah missions and codex)
  • There are two 'fate unknown' parts of the Guardian civilisation; their AIs, and a group of Guardians who were exiled in their first civil war as an interstellar civilisation. The exiles were Guardian's who'd adopted brain implants, and were part of a nascent biological/AI singularity before it was stopped after a backlash from other parts of the Guardian civilisation (which in essence is what their first civil war was). (source: in-game - Ram Tah missions and codex)
  • Prior to the second civil war, the Guardians had a conflict with the Thargoids. This happened after the Guardians occupied a region of space that the Thargoids had seeded with Barnacles previously, to which the Thargoids then returned to find it occupied by the Guardians. (source: in-game - Ram Tah missions and codex)
  • The Thargoids hadn't arrived expecting a conflict, and though they gained grounds initially, the Guardians won the conflict. (source: in-game - Ram Tah missions and codex)

Other key Thargoid info:

• The Thargoids have their own equivalent of what Raxxla is for us - Soontill
  • Soontill was essentially a very advanced Thargoid planet that was somehow lost by them
  • Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 is a system of significance for the Thargoids (they use it as a positional reference point, and the distance between that system and Merope is used by them as a measure of distance), but we don't know why, or what's there.
Other key info:
  • Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 is effectively right on the boundary of the main Guardian bubble
We (players) had predicted that there had been a Thargoid-Guardian territorial crossover/conflict well before it came out in game via the Ram Tah missions. This was based on the point above, along with an apparent lack of Guardian sites in the Guardian bubble towards that area (and/or the Witchhead Nebula). The prediction then got further substantial supporting evidence when the hostile reaction of Thargoid tech to Guardian tech was later observed in game.

See post covering the extent of the main Guardian bubble here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-8860772

Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 is approximately at the 7 o'clock point on the circle. (It's actually effectively inside the circle slightly as the circle represents a sphere, and Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 is at a point on the underside of the sphere, if that makes sense).

(This might all be slightly OT for the Raxxla thread, but who knows! It's all info, anyway, and there's no telling what is and isn't connected! :D )
What was the second Guardian civil war about?

What was the second Guardian civil war about?
Needs a bit of background to explain.

It's all based in the Guardian's deep rooted views on nature and tech. Loosely the Guardians are biological tech orientated, but with a vast spectrum of views on it.

AIs, though not bio were generally considered a proper part of Guardian society.

Much stronger views were held against Guardian self-modification using electronics and mechanics.

So, what you have is:
  • The development of AIs
  • A relatively small part of Guardian society adopting electronic/mechanical modifications, in particular brain implants
  • Those resulting in an increasing developmental pace, but with a corresponding gap between that small part of Guardian society and those not involved
  • A backlash due to that gap, and an exacerbation of existing attitudes
  • A resultant conflict, in which the Guardians who were part of that technological development revolution were exiled
The AIs however, remained. (Speaking in general anyway, it's not clear whether some may have gone with the exiles. The capability of AIs to transfer themselves into brain implants is specifically mentioned, so they certainly could have done.)

So what's left at that point, is the Guardians who didn't adopt brain implants, etc. There's still however a broad spread of attitudes within that, but the more extreme anti-tech end has gone from being a form of traditionalism to being an active religion and become much more established and powerful.

The second civil war then comes about over the fate of the AIs.

Essentially, a section of Guardian society, though against electronic self-modification still see the AIs very much as being part Guardian society. Another section has become more extreme and anti-AI, and fundamentalist in nature.

In amongst that is also the AIs themselves who have seen their own vulnerability made very clear and are trying to establish a form of safe existence for themselves. (There's also some form of distinction in the nature of the AIs - there's civilian ones, but also military ones which were developed as part of the conflict against the Thargoids. It's not completely clear but it's likely that it was the civilian ones who were trying to develop an independent existence, as the military ones would already have had it to some extent.)

The whole situation gets more extreme, with the split emerging throughout Guardian society, and eventually turning into a civil war. With such a deep division within their entire society, the conflict erupts within individual cities (or city-states, which is what seems to be their general societal/political model) rather than between stellar systems, and it rapidly engulfs their entire civilisation.

Back
Top Bottom