yelboc said he has seen it at Titan station and no one noticed his message

Ya i like this - honestly i think ive seen the green flash in the past but cant for the life of me remember the situation. I think later this eve or so I will go find a place in a different system where alot of signal sources pop up and see if i can recreate it there. I am thinking the flash is associated with a signal source popping up close to you ... or something like that. Or maybe its the coffee machine letting you know its ready...

Ya i like this - honestly i think ive seen the green flash in the past but cant for the life of me remember the situation. I think later this eve or so I will go find a place in a different system where alot of signal sources pop up and see if i can recreate it there. I am thinking the flash is associated with a signal source popping up close to you ... or something like that. Or maybe its the coffee machine letting you know its ready...

Mmm, I’m not coming round to yours for coffee and biccies if your coffee glows green!

Having a look in the Independent Raxxla Hunters Discord.
Falconscreech went glow searching with Sap 8, AI Relics, Trinkets, Mysterious Idol, Jaradharre Puzzle Box, Galactic Travel Guide, Probe, link, Sensor, Ancient Key, Unstable Data Core, and a Guardian Relic.

Spliffz had a crash to desktop while looking; this is very reminiscent of the FRift base CTD when FD had a bug that prevented them instancing.

Our old friend Scytale is hanging out there

Someone suggested the green glow may be a USS spawning in the vicinity; this would tie in with my note that it tends to appear around the time that “new signal source detected” appears in the ship’s info panel.

Someone wondered if the asteroid cluster apparent positional jump might be related to a Caesar cypher. This is intriguing-the logo seems to be a puzzle clue. And we know how FD like to set puzzles! Perhaps Raxxla/Omphalos is another example?

Someone ran out of fuel and the SAR ship came to his assistance. The SAR ship does seem to be part of this puzzle! I’ve not come across another like this; anyone else?

Last edited:
Alright. I can't let you guys have all the fun wearing a path between Sol and Jupiter. I got some time to kill so I'll join the fiesta for a bit.

Does nobody have headtracking here? Seems like it would be handy.

I was in an iEagle and didn't have luck with the hunt last time. I saw Phantoms and DBXs are featured in the green glow vids. Are those the preferred ship for this endeavor?

Maybe one area lights up for each rank you have.

I'd wager it's unlikely, but as with all our theories at this point it's completely possible. I've not seen any convincing arguments for being Triple Elite when it comes to hunting Raxxla, unless perhaps it's connected to TDW. It's always worth experimenting with if you're interested, but most Green Glow participants come from a variety of Elite ranks and havn't seen special activity.

If this phenomenon was related to other ship’s in SC, then why does it only appear in Sol? It hasn’t been reported to my knowledge in 5 years of flying in ED.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. Getting a green glow to show up takes time (even if you're looking), maybe someone should head to another system and spend a few hours trying to spawn one there? It could be the fastest way to get more information.

Heres a good one,
Has anyone put their head cam into free view on green glow experience, and tried to look INSIDE your cockpit, behind your chair?
Like in VR, you can see the enitre inside of the pit, ect....

oreilly-auto-parts-included-a-flux-capacitor-from-back-the-the-future-in-their-online-catalog-...jpg

In all seriousness, this could be valid. It would explain a few things, such as why the light doesn't react to maneuvers in the same way outside sources do. I've always subscribed to the idea that our ship's systems were purposefully designed to limit us (think about permit locks), so if your onboard computer was disabled you would essentially be "unleashed". Wouldn't it be interesting if the Omphalos Rift could deregulate your ships navigation? Food for thought.

I was in an iEagle and didn't have luck with the hunt last time. I saw Phantoms and DBXs are featured in the green glow vids. Are those the preferred ship for this endeavor?

Just my opinion, but anything maneuverable would be helpful, so the Eagle is actually a good choice. Phantoms and DBXs (while not the most manouverable) are useful because of their cockpit views, which are very open with lots of windows that make searching easier.

Yes, I chose the iEagle for its maneuverability. It has the lower 50% obstructed by the ship though. I went with the AspX this time for the massive glass it possesses. With the positioning of the cockpit and the thickness of the hull, it should rule out any glow coming from behind me. Maybe that means I'll never see it :unsure: We'll see how it goes.

I swear, if it's in the cockpit, and it's just Alexa turning on for no reason, I'll be so mad.

Alright. I can't let you guys have all the fun wearing a path between Sol and Jupiter. I got some time to kill so I'll join the fiesta for a bit.

Does nobody have headtracking here? Seems like it would be handy.

I started in my Phantom, then briefly tried an Eagle for better manoeuvrability to get round to see the light source. I think anything with a decent cockpit should do, but a Clipper with white dashboard might be good.

Yes, I’ve got headtracking; you can see in my videos that I often use it to check my distance from Sol, when the battery doesn’t run flat!! Didn’t help me view the green glow light source. Perhaps each nav computer has a Raxxla detector built in with a light brightness set to the detection distance? I strongly suspect Guardian AI involvement in those Pilot Federation-controlled nav computers!

Last edited:
@Sparklepaws: your suggestion of a parallel search for green glows in another system is an excellent idea! It would give us a very useful baseline for this search! I guess it should be a system with an asteroid belt to search in, just in case these “asteroid clusters” are a factor.

Volunteers please??

The triple Elite idea came from a livestreamer ages ago. I think it was based on the original novella where a Raxxla was supposed to be a mysterious planet with an alien gateway to other universes and had already been occupied by a band of evil Elite Pilots. I think FD have implied that’s all retconned- they confirmed no other galaxies, & it was in-game before Horizons so unlikely it’s a planet to land on. The only proviso is that reported but unconfirmed interview with DB where he’s supposed to have said Elite was a requirement. May be that whatever it is is guarded & you need to be Elite to stand a chance of survival. No recording of the interview has been found so it’s speculation. We’ll find out when/iff we find it.🙂

Last edited:
We still can't assume that "in game" is the same as accessible or interactive. Everything fdev says is some kind of tongue in cheek play on words. You couldn't get a straight answer if you asked the shortest distance between 2 points.

For example, Polaris is clearly "in game" but thats it. you can't interact with it. You can only look at it in the galaxy map. Words are really good for misleading folks who want them to mean something specific.

Last edited:
@Jorki Rasalas If I get some spare time I'll visit some other systems and play around with the idea. Having some extra help would definitely speed up the process!

On the topic of recorded interviews, I've been combing through the Elite Dangerous video archives for hours every day and still haven't come across the referenced interviews. That's not to say they don't exist, but I haven't found them yet.

What I have found is DB explicitly stating* that they had NOT created extra galaxies in the game, so if Raxxla has been there since the beginning I think we can safely eliminate that possibility.

*References:
Elite Dangerous Progress Diary #2 @ 2:12
24 Hour Christmas Livestream @ 3:24:30

Don't think I said who or what created it. It's still in game. Did stellar forge create the ships? How about the mission boards? Those are noticeably in game. The truth isn't required to be pleasant to be true. If you can see something in the game it's in the game.

Last edited:
What I have found is DB explicitly stating* that they had NOT created extra galaxies in the game, so if Raxxla has been there since the beginning I think we can safely eliminate that possibility.

Not other galaxies as such, but they did look into extra galactic clusters etc. Some of the systems related to this did make it into the game. (It came up in an ancient MB post related to that weird Gen+ system or some such if memory serves)

Don't think I said who or what created it. It's still in game. Did stellar forge create the ships? How about the mission boards? Those are noticeably in game
That's the important part. Ships & mission boards are in the game and they can be interacted with.
Now Andromeda. To me it looks like (a poor quality) picture painted on the skybox, being just that - a background picture, gameplaywise just a decoration. If it was a tangible in game thing made using the Stellar Forge, then it could be said to be in the game, just (so far) inaccessible.

And Michael Brooke's said we don't actually know what Raxxla is. For all we know it could just be an object in the sky box, which would technically be in game.

I'm not saying I think this or I want this to be true. But we can't say with any certainty that Raxxla is anything specific or not because we don't have that information. Only that it's in game

A fair point, but DB specifically implied they had not generated other galaxies. He never said Andromeda wasn't in the game, he said, "Does the Stellar Forge have the capacity to generate a second galaxy? Yes it does, it has the capacity to generate an infinite number of galaxies because we've just got to get all of the parameters right, but it's the benefit of that. Our galaxy is so flipping big, it's just so vast, that having an extra galaxy is fairly meaningless."

You could argue this is a non-answer, technically Braben never said they hadn't created another galaxy, but at the very least it's safe to put the galaxy theory very low on the tier list. If you watch any DB interviews you'll know that he has trouble lying. His three approaches answering a question are yes, maybe and no, all of which are delivered quite plainly; it's obvious when he's trying to be cryptic. Michael Brookes is skillfully vague and answers questions in ways that are designed to make you wonder what he's actually saying.

In the videos where DB talks about secondary galaxy creations he speaks matter-of-factly, as if he's absolutely sure that what he's saying is a simple answer to a simple question. There are none of the shady smiles, shrugged responses or playful airs he usually puts on whenever there's a mystery to be solved.

given all the effort put in to find raxxla, the devs are at some point have to help the players find it. the reason is that if the players don't find it, at some point they will have lost faith in frontier and simply stop playing the game. also the negitive feedback from that may stop other players from joining.

it seems to me, given all the effort, that raxxla in either not in the game, not accessable, or simply not identifiable (ie: under a different name)

A fair point, but DB specifically implied they had not generated other galaxies. He never said Andromeda wasn't in the game, he said, "Does the Stellar Forge have the capacity to generate a second galaxy? Yes it does, it has the capacity to generate an infinite number of galaxies because we've just got to get all of the parameters right, but it's the benefit of that. Our galaxy is so flipping big, it's just so vast, that having an extra galaxy is fairly meaningless."

You could argue this is a non-answer, technically Braben never said they hadn't created another galaxy, but at the very least it's safe to put the galaxy theory very low on the tier list. If you watch any DB interviews you'll know that he has trouble lying. His three approaches answering a question are yes, maybe and no, all of which are delivered quite plainly; it's obvious when he's trying to be cryptic. Michael Brookes is skillfully vague and answers questions in ways that are designed to make you wonder what he's actually saying.

In the videos where DB talks about secondary galaxy creations he speaks matter-of-factly, as if he's absolutely sure that what he's saying is a simple answer to a simple question. There are none of the shady smiles, shrugged responses or playful airs he usually puts on whenever there's a mystery to be solved.
I agree. My whole point was you can't take what they say at face value. This was regarding the difference between Raxxla being in the game at launch and Interactive/accessible at launch

Top Bottom