Oh, and while rereading some IRH posts I came across my post about the station ad showing an old station by Brewer orbiting above a planet, the ad says “looking down on worlds since 3100”. A station is expensive so would only be put in a system being colonised. By 3100 the colonised worlds were Sol, Tau Ceti, Delta Pavonis, Altair, Beta Hydri & Eotienses, and maybe Achenar & Arcturus.

Edit: mmm, can’t see anything that says when Tionisla was colonised, just that it’s one of the old worlds...
Edit2: ah...the Old Worlds were established in the early 2400's. The first four colonies, Lave, Leesti, Diso, and Zaonce, were established between 2412 and 2422. They established trade routes and created their own colonies in Reorte, Riedquat, Tionisla, and Orerve.
Edit3: that Brewer station ad seems to be from pre-release artwork. Might be the basis for TDW station?
View attachment 315995
I have updated my Yggdrasil ramblings to include the old worlds. Not much to report. Still open to assessment.

Post in thread 'The Quest To Find Raxxla'
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-9856307

It could have been relevant. Allen Stroud, who was contracted to write a lot of the ED lore had this to say

However a player group setting up a Dark Wheel Squadron is IMHO opening the gates to potential misinformation, delusion and trolling. I’d hope FD would be more careful about how they implemented TDW. However the response that @Rochester got from them IIRC seemed to indicate TDW may be mere fluff, or may be a storyline that they haven't switched on at present.

Edit: if the latter, then maybe nobody has as yet excelled sufficiently to earn their invitation!
Ironically, the requested page can not be found... will try another way to view it.

Link in quote now with . Removed

Last edited:
I have a question for everyone here how often did you skip on the tip offs then actually doing the tip offs? Is skipping tip off greater then doing the them? When you think about it most of ED is based on numbers. Some assume that the Thargoids have their own reputation to those who kill them and those who don't engage with them or handing them thargoid cargo. Even though you don't hand the thargoid cargo like normal, the item can still be registered to the pilot that first picked or dropped like how systems are registered to the pilot that first discovers a system when they turn in the data.

So in this case doing tip offs usually means scanning for info, so the info that is being sent is registered to the person who did it, which puts a point or 2 to your reputation.

I find it weird that we always get a message from a "Mysterious Stranger" the reason to this always falls back to the Elite Dangerous Manual of the Benefactor who wishes to be anonymous which if you first started the game and read the manual your first thought is "Well that's mysterious". It's also made clear that the benefactor is working for an unnamed organization and testing the pilot. This all factors in some how. Like for instance like how low your reputation can be so only few missions are accessible then someone whose reputation is allied where you get full access to the mission. Tip offs can work this way as well which can possibly explain why we hardly seen any new tip offs. You got a whole lot of people playing so info is easier to grab and take notes on them, but you don't got numbers of how many tip offs 1 player did.

Last edited:
I have a question for everyone here how often did you skip on the tip offs then actually doing the tip offs? Is skipping tip off greater then doing the them? When you think about it most of ED is based on numbers. Some assume that the Thargoids have their own reputation to those who kill them and those who don't engage with them or handing them thargoid cargo. Even though you don't hand the thargoid cargo like normal, the item can still be registered to the pilot that first picked or dropped like how systems are registered to the pilot that first discovers a system when they turn in the data.

So in this case doing tip offs usually means scanning for info, so the info that is being sent is registered to the person who did it, which puts a point or 2 to your reputation.

I find it weird that we always get a message from a "Mysterious Stranger" the reason to this always falls back to the Elite Dangerous Manual of the Benefactor who wishes to be anonymous which if you first started the game and read the manual your first thought is "Well that's mysterious". It's also made clear that the benefactor is working for an unnamed organization and testing the pilot. This all factors in some how. Like for instance like how low your reputation can be so only few missions are accessible then someone whose reputation is allied where you get full access to the mission. Tip offs can work this way as well which can possibly explain why we hardly seen any new tip offs. You got a whole lot of people playing so info is easier to grab and take notes on them, but you don't got numbers of how many tip offs 1 player did.
@djadjok has done thousands of those tip-offs, enough to systematically analyse their generation and the patterns of the crash sites etc. that they refer to. If anyone was going to find chained missions or secret invites from them, then he would have. However, he found that none of them lead anywhere.

See here:

and previous and following discussions in that thread

Last edited:
Anyone try the planet 9 theory?

Planet Nine is a hypothetical planet in the outer region of the Solar System. Its gravitational effects could explain the peculiar clustering of orbits for a group of extreme trans-Neptunian objects, bodies beyond Neptune that orbit the Sun at distances averaging more than 250 times that of the Earth. Wikipedia
Semi-major axis: 460+160; −100 AU
Eccentricity: 0.2–0.5
Perihelion: 340+80; −70 AU
Apparent magnitude: ~21
Inclination: 16±5°
Aphelion: 560+260; −140 AU
Orbital period (sidereal): 9,900+5,500; −3,100 yr

Located beyond Neptune, the supposed home of Planet 9, the Kuiper belt, consists of icy bodies ranging in size from large boulders to objects with diameters greater than 1,000 miles. These objects are material left over from the earliest era of the solar system that was never incorporated into the forming planets.

ref google / wikipedia

We already have Planet 9 (Persephone) in the game.
persephone.jpg

@djadjok has done thousands of those tip-offs, enough to systematically analyse their generation and the patterns of the crash sites etc. that they refer to. If anyone was going to find chained missions or secret invites from them, then he would have. However, he found that none of them lead anywhere.

See here:

and previous and following discussions in that thread
Thanks for the link - pages like that get lost inside the thread it is in.

The tinfoilery by @djadjok should have a thread all to itself IMO.

I’ll have a re-read through the TO and Mysterious Stranger threads, as I thought he said there might be some missions still to be found. But I’m old and may be imagining things! 👴🏻👴🏻
16Dec2020: Ah yes, https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/tip-off-mission.561154/post-8858179
He said “As a side note - even after 5 years not all Tip Off locations in the Bubble has been discovered. If you have any questions - don't hesitate to ask them.”

Hypothesising:

The old E/F Shinrarta missions seemed to be related to Raxxla. They seemed to be from Pilots Federation & directed against TDW faction in SD. We know from Drew that TDW in SD is a false front/red herring and that the real DW are a faction within PF...perhaps that was the storyline they were intended to highlight?

Those missions disappeared around late 2015/early 2016 and it seems reasonable to assume that (if they were not just deleted because they were unnecessary fluff) they may have been replaced with some alternate missions under the new mission system that was introduced (IIRC) with the Horizons 1.5/2.0 release in Dec 2015, which I think introduced the TO missions. In conjunction with djadjock’s statement above, and considering the TO missions seem to come from the “mysterious benefactor” who gives you your first ship and startup funds (via “Sue, Cripple & Sneer” game manual’s message) it might make sense to concentrate on investigating TO missions in the old worlds, where TDW originated (from the codex’s “a continuous and clandestine organisation, operating since the very earliest days of interstellar travel”).

There are only a handful of old worlds, so it shouldnt take long to get allied with all the factions (split the workload up between a few players) and spend a while investigating if meaningful missions are triggered.

Not convinced this is necessarily the route to Raxxla, since I dont think TDW know where it is, but if these hypothesised missions have not been triggered then that could be consistent with the FD response to @Rochester which implied that TDW are not currently in-game. DB also said (Feb2016) he knew people were not playing the game as expected, not making friends with the minor factions, hence he knew there were missions that almost no players have seen...

16Dec2020: Ah yes, https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/tip-off-mission.561154/post-8858179
He said “As a side note - even after 5 years not all Tip Off locations in the Bubble has been discovered. If you have any questions - don't hesitate to ask them.”

Hypothesising:

The old E/F Shinrarta missions seemed to be related to Raxxla. They seemed to be from Pilots Federation & directed against TDW faction in SD. We know from Drew that TDW in SD is a false front/red herring and that the real DW are a faction within PF...perhaps that was the storyline they were intended to highlight?

Those missions disappeared around late 2015/early 2016 and it seems reasonable to assume that (if they were not just deleted because they were unnecessary fluff) they may have been replaced with some alternate missions under the new mission system that was introduced (IIRC) with the Horizons 1.5/2.0 release in Dec 2015, which I think introduced the TO missions. In conjunction with djadjock’s statement above, and considering the TO missions seem to come from the “mysterious benefactor” who gives you your first ship and startup funds (via “Sue, Cripple & Sneer” game manual’s message) it might make sense to concentrate on investigating TO missions in the old worlds, where TDW originated (from the codex’s “a continuous and clandestine organisation, operating since the very earliest days of interstellar travel”).

There are only a handful of old worlds, so it shouldnt take long to get allied with all the factions (split the workload up between a few players) and spend a while investigating if meaningful missions are triggered.

Not convinced this is necessarily the route to Raxxla, since I dont think TDW know where it is, but if these hypothesised missions have not been triggered then that could be consistent with the FD response to @Rochester which implied that TDW are not currently in-game. DB also said (Feb2016) he knew people were not playing the game as expected, not making friends with the minor factions, hence he knew there were missions that almost no players have seen...
A good point.

Last edited:
Tip-off missions weren't present in the game at release. They were added post-Horizons, so it seems unlikely that they're related to either TDW or Raxxla.
There was no mention of the DW station at release either. That came with the Codex. Tip-offs could relate to that part of the quest.

Also there could be more than one way to skinn this cat. More options could have been added, without removing the original method.

Found the 'discovery' probe in sol. Unfortunately did not have a hacking limpet, just the repair / fuel one.

2,5ly from Voyager probe that has audio about enjoying space.

Following my breakfast hypothesising about TDW in the old worlds, and “mysterious stranger tip-off missions, I have read through djadjok’s posts on the subject. To summarise, he didnt think they are related to TDW. Relevant info is:
Tip-offs are a direct result of completing a mission (Dom Corner). TO often need to scan (only) core data terminal, the core data terminal is always the one with the green beacon up in the sky, using your ship you must really poke the terminal with the nose. tip offs are kind of payoffs or a form of "gratitude" from a minor faction to a given commander for a long-lasted profitable collaboration & usually received upon completion of missions while docked at station.

Djadjok’s TO mission latest:

TO message location co-ordinates are for Horizons. In Odyssey most things on planet surfaces have moved slightly, so you have to go to the co-ordinates then look in the nav panel for the closest installation or crash site.

doing evacuations from burning stations and rep+ missions so far looks like a natural choice for Tip Off grinding, though disabling megaship turrets may currently be the fastest way to obtain many tip off in a short period of time.

His spreadsheet is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1xCGgDSJvwiufc1DHSnchko_jpEdpXH3KUlZT5FBSFBA/htmlview

Brilliant- I surmised as much but one is always trying to catch up. Maybe this can be drawn up on page 1 on this thread as a ‘debunked’ element!

To confirm the above findings, here is another response from FD on the subject about the tip-off missions.

I am at pains to utilise such a method to clarify what is / what is not in game, but it is a valid method of obtaining information.

I don’t feel contacting Support is invalid, and I’ve only done so to clarify what is / what is not a waste of our time. If false perception generated by the community or through poor communication leads a player to unnecessarily expend their time, and in some cases at their detriment, I think it only an issue of health and safety that such issues are clarified.

In short djadjok is correct and these tip off mission are not related to the Mysterious Benefactor from the manual.

A200045D-15F7-4DEA-88D7-C373285FD8A0.jpeg

Last edited:
But never really mentions the chances that this "Mysterious Stranger" isn't from the same unknown organization if the case the Benefactor isn't one in the same. We have to be watched by someone or multiple people each time we finish a mission. In regards to #179 it's possible and most likely Influence plays the part of the in getting tip offs based on my experience. As I said before, my first day of doing missions I had gotten 2 tip offs due to the fact I gotten the missions that made it really easy to move up in Rank for the Federation while I was trying to earn my Corvette this wasn't full days worth of mission grinding. On my 2nd day I only manage to get 1 tip off due to the fact of lack of courier missions all day.

But maybe an hidden system where it looks for certain amount of points that attributes to getting the tip off Ex. for every 3000 points made you gain a tip off. But is it faction related it can also play a part in what type of tips off we earn. It can be old world related + faction plays in a role in this system if you know where to search for it.

It's also possible that there is a pool of tip offs that each faction pulls from. So for instance Federation may pull from this pool of tip offs, Imperial pulls from this pool ( could be the same) as well as Alliance. While the specific minor factions not related to galactic power can pull from the very rare pool tip offs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom