I might be going space crazy, but what if clue number 1 on the trail is right under our noses:

Venus is the brightest planet in the night sky from earth. You could say its the jewl that burns brightest.
In the legend of Tanhauser, Venus constantly whispers in his ear. In greek mythology, some believed Aphrodite (Venus) a siren, rather than a goddess.
After her son (Aeneas) died, she was so grief stricken, she asked Jupiter to make him immortal. Aeneas wife (Creusa) begged him not to return to the fight in Troy, saving his life

I know that above, I am overlapping Greek and Roman mythology, but Venus and Aphrodite are usually considered the same being, told from different angles.

So I am thinking, Venus, in Latin, means lucifer, or morning star. In Sirius, we have the planet Lucifer. I know its well explored and there is even an engineer there, but Sirius also ties in nicely with ED lore, and the ability to cover things up. Even the club used them, didn't they?

There is more detail in this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eu30UyjpQrWexAglwD1Ax_GaDz4d7l8KD76kSzX4DEk/edit#gid=0

This is a user submitted tourist beacon, so the text is a player's wording. The notes don't mention why he/she/it/they called it that:

0016Celestial GemCD-39 6137TOURISTSeries 1User Submitted0016.pngThis minor system in notable only because of its early membership of the Alliance, joining in 3232. This membership granted the colonists significant technological improvement on their existing lot.

<Edit: looks like the text is wrong in the spreadsheet - the picture link shows the correct text.. >

The Beacon numbers go in sets as they were populated. There are quite a few missing beacons in this list, so clearly there is more stuff to be found and a block of them are in the Elite History section. Seems likely that this supports the theory that some of the existing permit locked systems can be unlocked if only we can work out how. Or else the remaining Lore beacons are not in populated or explored bubble systems..

Beacon Number RangeTypeNotes
0001-0112User submittedMany not found (they are widespread in the galaxy)
0113-0251Elite History (Lore)Completely discovered
0252? could be lore or user?not found
0253-0648User SubmittedMostly found - a few may be misidentified..
0649-0715Elite History (Lore)A block from 0650-0663 are not found

I have a couple of questions for those who were in game at the start:
  • When were Tourist Beacons added?
  • When was the request for user submitted beacons and when were they included?
If they weren't in game for Gamma then you wouldn't need them to find R. as originally implemented. Of course its possible the codex refers to them as part of the retconn.

The system is in the blue nebula NGC3132. The system has a Y star with 8 'moons' - if you accept Y's as gas giants...

https://www.edsm.net/en_GB/system/bodies/id/209097/name/CD-39+6137

May be worth a look, just to be sure :)

The beacons are a relatively new addition to ED. I don't remember exactly when they were introduced, but it was well after Horizons.

The 'Celestial Gem' name comes from the Galactic mapping project. A player initiative to name distinctive systems, regions and sectors. Quite a few of these names have later been added to the game, by FD.

The Galactic mapping project has it's own entry in EDSM:
https://www.edsm.net/en/system/id/209097/name/CD-39+6137
https://www.edsm.net/en/system/id/34155/name/Star+Of+India

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=80&v=Z4kAIB4_M9Q

Burnell Station (an outpost) orbits the non-landable Venus. Presumably after Jocelyn Bell-Burnell - discoverer of pulsars - not quite the 'Mother of Galaxies' though. I expect its the least visited station in Sol though..

Burnell Station (an outpost) orbits the non-landable Venus. Presumably after Jocelyn Bell-Burnell - discoverer of pulsars - not quite the 'Mother of Galaxies' though. I expect its the least visited station in Sol though..
ED uses a geocentric model, meaning that Earth is the center of the galaxy (as in co-ordinates 0,0,0), so mother of galaxies could be poetic license? Venus is the brightest planet from the center of the galaxy.

ED uses a geocentric model, meaning that Earth is the center of the galaxy (as in co-ordinates 0,0,0), so mother of galaxies could be poetic license? Venus is the brightest planet from the center of the galaxy.
Interestingly, there is a tourist beacon called The Devil's Dancefloor, in the Eeshorks BA-A g2179 system, which reads...

"The system was first discovered during a joint expedition by three well known scientists in the field of gravitational physics: Grace Gutierrez, Rondall Hudon, and Lennox McFadden, back in July of 3303. / EESHORKS BA-A G2179 has researchers buzzing now that its discoverers have gone public with details of the system. It contains a black hole and four neutron stars, and is considered extra special by researchers studying gravitational waves as four of the five bodies that make up the system are organised into two sets of binaries orbiting each other very closely. They orbit so closely that the AB pair orbit each other in approximately two hours (The Swing Couple), and the CD pair in five hours (The Waltz Couple), with both pairs orbiting each other in an area less than 250Ls across. / The A star of the system is a black hole measuring 10.6 solar masses. Bodies B, C and D are each microsecond pulsars with spins aligned by orbits so tight a ship may find itself in the ejecta cones of both pulsars at the same time! The fifth and last body of the system is another neutron star at a range of 342,000Ls which the members of the discovering expedition refer to as "The Wallflower". "

Just the kind of place @Jorki Rasalas has been experimenting with

There is more detail in this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eu30UyjpQrWexAglwD1Ax_GaDz4d7l8KD76kSzX4DEk/edit#gid=0

This is a user submitted tourist beacon, so the text is a player's wording. The notes don't mention why he/she/it/they called it that:

0016Celestial GemCD-39 6137TOURISTSeries 1User Submitted0016.pngThis minor system in notable only because of its early membership of the Alliance, joining in 3232. This membership granted the colonists significant technological improvement on their existing lot.

<Edit: looks like the text is wrong in the spreadsheet - the picture link shows the correct text.. >

The Beacon numbers go in sets as they were populated. There are quite a few missing beacons in this list, so clearly there is more stuff to be found and a block of them are in the Elite History section. Seems likely that this supports the theory that some of the existing permit locked systems can be unlocked if only we can work out how. Or else the remaining Lore beacons are not in populated or explored bubble systems..

Beacon Number RangeTypeNotes
0001-0112User submittedMany not found (they are widespread in the galaxy)
0113-0251Elite History (Lore)Completely discovered
0252? could be lore or user?not found
0253-0648User SubmittedMostly found - a few may be misidentified..
0649-0715Elite History (Lore)A block from 0650-0663 are not found

I have a couple of questions for those who were in game at the start:
  • When were Tourist Beacons added?
  • When was the request for user submitted beacons and when were they included?
If they weren't in game for Gamma then you wouldn't need them to find R. as originally implemented. Of course its possible the codex refers to them as part of the retconn.

The system is in the blue nebula NGC3132. The system has a Y star with 8 'moons' - if you accept Y's as gas giants...

https://www.edsm.net/en_GB/system/bodies/id/209097/name/CD-39+6137

May be worth a look, just to be sure :)

Michael Brookes asked for player submissions for tourist beacons in June 2016
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/2-2-your-input-needed-passenger-tourist-destinations.266046/

Think the lore beacons were in game well before that, but at my age memory is not good, actually it never was any good.
Edit: this might help you, it has dates https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eu30UyjpQrWexAglwD1Ax_GaDz4d7l8KD76kSzX4DEk/htmlview#

Interestingly, there is a tourist beacon called The Devil's Dancefloor, in the Eeshorks BA-A g2179 system, which reads...

"The system was first discovered during a joint expedition by three well known scientists in the field of gravitational physics: Grace Gutierrez, Rondall Hudon, and Lennox McFadden, back in July of 3303. / EESHORKS BA-A G2179 has researchers buzzing now that its discoverers have gone public with details of the system. It contains a black hole and four neutron stars, and is considered extra special by researchers studying gravitational waves as four of the five bodies that make up the system are organised into two sets of binaries orbiting each other very closely. They orbit so closely that the AB pair orbit each other in approximately two hours (The Swing Couple), and the CD pair in five hours (The Waltz Couple), with both pairs orbiting each other in an area less than 250Ls across. / The A star of the system is a black hole measuring 10.6 solar masses. Bodies B, C and D are each microsecond pulsars with spins aligned by orbits so tight a ship may find itself in the ejecta cones of both pulsars at the same time! The fifth and last body of the system is another neutron star at a range of 342,000Ls which the members of the discovering expedition refer to as "The Wallflower". "

Swing? Walz?
Meh, Salsa or Zydeco for me! 🤠

It’s difficult to dance stuck in this pilot’s chair for 4 years. I’ll be glad when space legs arrives & I can stand up, move around, visit the head, and get a mug of coffee from that darn Krait machine that I can smell but not reach.

Gave up BH diving, it got boring after around 30. Dipped into centroid searching, also boring. 3 kylies out, off to visit some bright stars then I’ll head back to the bubble to test out latest wild idea carefully reasoned hypothesis...🤪

Last edited:
Swing? Walz?
Meh, Salsa or Zydeco for me! 🤠

It’s difficult to dance stuck in this pilot’s chair for 4 years. I’ll be glad when space legs arrives & I can stand up, move around, visit the head, and get a mug of coffee from that darn Krait machine that I can smell but not reach.

Gave up BH diving, it got boring after around 30. Dipped into centroid searching, also boring. 3 kylies out, off to visit some bright stars then I’ll head back to the bubble to test out latest wild idea carefully reasoned hypothesis...🤪
Offtop ...what is ur Krait jump range? >: I could do 52 ly but ... I feel like 72 conda is better...
...damn, I want to pilot Krait more, I just love it.

Might be fun if you had to charge on all 4 neutrons, then fly into the black hole :)

In fact, as soon as I get bored of zapping bugs (which is imminent!) I might fly out there, and try just that. Sounds like, at a very minimum, it is going to be a pretty cool system.

Last edited:
I do have one tipoff mission in the Pleiades Sector, nothing special I would imagine.
tl9UkkJ.png

hLXH9IN.png

Edit: Pretty uneventful.

Tip off pattern per tick was solved.

Tip Off Pattern and predictor :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...nchko_jpEdpXH3KUlZT5FBSFBA/edit#gid=152162291

Offtop ...what is ur Krait jump range? >: I could do 52 ly but ... I feel like 72 conda is better...
...damn, I want to pilot Krait more, I just love it.

65ly, I love this ship!
You can get better range with an annie, but manoeuvrability goes down.

Edit:64.28 to 68. But not a pure exploration fit-I’ve got beam laser, MC, dual PA (plasma slug), plus dual AFMU and repair limpet controller. Not a pvp fit (not into that) but a good armed explorer.

Last edited:
I'm actually really glad to know that. I was on the cusp of buying those books and then I read that and thought, nah...if Wagar uses "poopoo" I just can't do it. :ROFLMAO:

I definitely did not write 'poopoo'. ;)

You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from writing in Elite Dangerous, it's never ignore a poopoo. I knew a CMDR, who got poopood, made the mistake of ignoring the poopoo. He poopoode it! Fatal error! 'Cos it turned out all along that the CMDR who poopood him had been poopooing a lot of other CMDRs who poopood their poopoos. In the end, we had to disband GalNet. Morale totally destroyed... by poopoo!

* With apologies to General Melchett.

Cheers,

Drew.

Last edited:
Alas. Tranmissions were sent on a number of channels, but only static echoed back from the dark stretches of the void.

Cheers,

Drew.
@drew - what is your current theory? Do you still think it is close to the bubble and there might be a puzzle to be solved in the original Elite worlds?

Top Bottom