The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

How to submit awesome POIs

A reminder to our newer submitters. Please try to use this format when submitting new POIs:

POI Name: (Name of your entry after checking the naming stipulations listed here. Please use English when possible!)

Game map search ref: (Provide the exact procedural name of the POI you discovered - if its a nebula choose a system within the nebula to act as its reference location. If it covers a larger area, please choose a single system, such as the center)

Description: (Write a short description of what you found. This will be read by other people! Please write in third person and avoid using "I" or "we". Describe the object as if the person reading it doesn't know you.)

Screenshot reference: (Provide the post # or link of where your screenshot or video of your POI can be found - it is a big help if you provide the image resized or cropped to a with of 640 pixels. If this is not possible for you just submit the image anyways and we will do it for you. But it does save us a lot of time if you have done it yourself)

Cmdr Corbin Moran kindly suggested i should submit my newly discovered ELW moon for the Galactic Mapping Project.

Details

System: DRYOEA FLYI II-S E4-6870

Description: ELW moon orbiting a lava planet in a system with a single Neutron Star. The NS is the center star of a planetary nebula with the same name

Screenshots:
MOTri8l.jpg

pySvA5A.jpg

Original thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...eutron-Star-in-a-nebula?p=5554767#post5554767

POI name : Funfair geysers
POI type: surface feature
Galmap ref: Veil West Sector DL-Y d68

Desc: Field of water geyser, offering unique combination of colours thanks to it's location in Veil West nebula. The exact location is Veil West Sector DL-Y d68 D 4 E 27.02 80.59

fxNBwAP.png

POI name: Doom geysers
Galmap ref: Soul Sector EL-Y d7

Desc: Field of water geysers inside Soul nebula, offering exeptional views when visited at night, when water is coloured by the nebula and if you are lucky enough there will be nearby Heart Nebula overlooking the site. The exact coordinates are: B 1 B - -25.67 15.47

0duVAZX.png

Last edited:
Cmdr Corbin Moran kindly suggested i should submit my newly discovered ELW moon for the Galactic Mapping Project.

Details

System: DRYOEA FLYI II-S E4-6870

Description: ELW moon orbiting a lava planet in a system with a single Neutron Star. The NS is the center star of a planetary nebula with the same name

Screenshots:

Original thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...eutron-Star-in-a-nebula?p=5554767#post5554767

Great find! Do you have a name for this location you'd like us to use?

New POI

POI Name: Antares
POI Type: Stellar Feature
Galmap Ref: Antares

Desc: "A star known from antiquity, Antares is the fifteenth-brightest star in the Earth's night sky, and the brightest star in the constellation of Scorpius. Distinctly reddish when viewed with the naked eye, Antares is a slow irregular variable star that ranges in brightness from apparent magnitude +0.6 to +1.6. Often referred to as "the heart of the scorpion", Antares is flanked by Sigma and Tau Scorpii in the centre of the constellation. The traditional name Antares derives from the Ancient Greek Ἀντάρης, meaning "equal to-Ares" ("equal to-Mars"), due to the similarity of its reddish hue to the appearance of the planet Mars.

Antares is a red supergiant and one of the larger known stars. 20th century astronomers measured it as 890 ± 150 solar radii. The current observed size as of 3303 was 380 solar radii, likely due to Antares' variability. The star is expected to explode as a supernova in the next few hundred thousand years. Despite the large radius, Antares only has 0.4 solar masses, and this large difference between mass and size is typical for red supergiants which are burning helium.

Antares has a typical B-class companion star, which is orbited by a collection of dwarf stars, gas giants and small rocky bodies. Antares proper has three hot high-metal worlds in orbit. The distance between the two stars is approx. 195,000 light-seconds. Due to frame-shift drive technology locking onto the most massive body in a system, visitors to Antares will find themselves at Antares B, and need to fly the distance to Antares A. This trip takes approximately 10 minutes at maximum frame-shift drive speed.

The reference photo shows Antares and Antares B. Antares is at 195k light-seconds distance, and Antares B is at 1000 light-seconds distance."

0QBdGpwl.png

Last edited:
POI name : Funfair geysers
Galmap ref: Veil West Sector DL-Y d68

Desc: Field of water geyser, offering unique combination of colours thanks to it's location in Veil West nebula. The exact location is Veil West Sector DL-Y d68 D 4 E 27.02 80.59

http://i.imgur.com/fxNBwAP.png

POI name: Doom geysers
Galmap ref: Soul Sector EL-Y d7

Desc: Field of water geyser inside Soul nebula, offering exeptional views when visited at night, when water is coloured by the nebula and if you are lucky enough there will be nearby Hart Nebula overlooking the site. The exact coordinates are: B 1 B - -25.67 15.47

http://i.imgur.com/0duVAZX.png

Are you already back near the bubble? You are so good at finding geysers! Those are beautiful!

Screenshot reference: (Provide the post # or link of where your screenshot or video of your POI can be found - it is a big help if you provide the image resized or cropped to a with of 640 pixels. If this is not possible for you just submit the image anyways and we will do it for you. But it does save us a lot of time if you have done it yourself)

Hey I'm sorry I didn't know this. I will update post 1531 for Shepard mission and 1555 tomorrow with resized images.

Last edited:
Are you already back near the bubble? You are so good at finding geysers! Those are beautiful!

Thank you :) Nope, I am on the geyser mission, at the moment at the lowest accessible point and found some (will add later) and now probably to the highest possible point... then.. I don't know yet :) The one from Veil is an old find from weeks ago.

IC 4604

New POI:

POI Name: Rho Ophiuchi Cloud Complex (IC 4603/4604)
POI Type: Nebula
Galmap Ref: IC 4604 Sector FB-X C1-17

Desc: "The Rho Ophiuchi cloud complex consists of two nebula: The dark absorption Rho Ophiuchi Nebula (IC 4603), and the small reflection Rho Ophiuchus Nebula (IC 4604). These may also be considered part of The Great Rift. The complex is one the closest star-forming regions to Sol, with an estimated 3000 solar masses of material.

The reflection nebula has vivid red hues, and no stars currently inside the nebula proper. The dark nebula is only a few light years across and has no internal bodies. The nebula complex is illuminated by the triple star system 5 Rho Ophiuchi.

In the reference picture, the absorption nebula can be seen as the small dark area in the upper left of the gas cloud."

zkvDP4xl.png

Last edited:
Asteroid Base Deep Space Outposts Added:

removed until we figure this out for sure.

Base under consideration, as may not count as "deep space":

* Mike's Rock - HIP 1185
* Jack's Town - Felkan
* Mitzi's Den - Runo
* Eol Prou LW-L c8-215 - TolaGarf's Junkyard
* Harvard Base - HIP 83506

Last edited:
New POI:

POI Name: Blue Snowball Nebula
POI Type: Planetary Nebula
Galmap Ref: BD+41 4773

Desc: "First discovered by William Herschel in 1784, NGC 7662 (also known as the Blue Snowball) is a relatively easy to observe planetary nebula that has been popular with casual astronomers for nearly 1,500 years. Originally believed to be only 0.3 light years in diameter and 1,800 light years away from Sol, astronomical surveys in the 20th Century determined that it was more than twice as large and distant. In addition to the Wolf-Rayet star at its core, the nebula also features Class V and Class IV gas giants -- with a metal-rich moon orbiting the Class IV giant -- and a ringed lava world.

The nebula is in an area with low star density more than 1,600 light years below the galactic plane and, consequently, is only accessible via a neutron star-aided jump from PREIA EOCK KU-M D8-0 using a ship with a jump range of 62 light years or more -- and even then, it is currently a one-way trip.

tLYxK4q.jpg

Ok, think I found something. Another CMDR came here before me, so the find was already tagged, but hadn't been entered into EDSM.

Name: Retired
Type: Stellar POI
Reference: Spongoae XO-Z d13-28
Desricption: A rare S-Type star beyond the Formidine Rift out at the edge of the galactic rim. The landable planet orbiting this star might give an impression of what Earth will look like when our sun reaches this state.
Screenshot:

Hi Ashnak,

S-Type stars aren't particularly rare by themselves; is there anything particular notable about this one?

More Updates

Submissions up to post #1617 have been processed. Please see this post for details.

A few notes:

We're getting a lot of planetary nebula submissions. There are likely to be thousands of planetary nebula in the game, and many of them are in or around the Galactic Core area. We will eventually need a technological solution to "group" large numbers of close-by POIs together.

In the meanwhile, if you're submitting a planetary nebula, we strongly encourage you to provide:
* A unique name
* A reason this nebula is unique or worthy of inclusion
* A picture, ideally scaled to 640x480

Thank you!

Last edited:
New POI:

POI Name: Ramiels Song Nebula
POI Type: Planetary Nebula
Galmap Ref: Juemee HQ-Y e3869
Full Survey Link:
https://www.edsm.net/en/system/bodies/id/6155256/name/Juemee+HQ-Y+e3869

Description: Located in the Far 3kpc Arm, and only approximately 770 light years from the 'Dance of Cerberus' system, this stunning, extremely luminous purple blue nebula is worth a visit for the amazing view of its dominant, central black hole. The system also sports a Type G Star around which no less than seven planets orbit. Three of these are terraforming candidates - one of them being a water world with suspected carbon based life already present. Several of the planets show evidence of having surface deposits of yttrium, and there is also evidence of surface volcanism that requires further study. It is thought that this system is a brother to the black hole being of the same age (256 million years~) - one stars death breathing life into another.

This system was marked on universal cartographics by several commanders, first being discovered by CMDR Henk and CMDR Big Bad Lynx. The system however remained neglected from a full survey, until it was completed by CMDR Deathbane and CMDR Zweistein on the return leg of the Mercury 7 Expedition.

QLhVJ5J.jpg

Osbuf3w.jpg

oDpU78K.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ashnak,

S-Type stars aren't particularly rare by themselves; is there anything particular notable about this one?

Hi Heavy Johnson,

not so I'd noticed, apart from there being basically sod all in the neighbourhood. But I really can't say that this would be e.g. the furthest S-Class star (it probably isn't) from Sgr A* or anything like that. If that's not sufficient for inclusion as galactic POI, it's fine with me.

Submissions up to post #1617 have been processed. Please see this post for details.

A few notes:

We're getting a lot of planetary nebula submissions. There are likely to be thousands of planetary nebula in the game, and many of them are in or around the Galactic Core area. We will eventually need a technological solution to "group" large numbers of close-by POIs together.

In the meanwhile, if you're submitting a planetary nebula, we strongly encourage you to provide:
* A unique name
* A reason this nebula is unique or worthy of inclusion
* A picture, ideally scaled to 640x480

Thank you!

Is there a way to tag PN systems so that they don't show up on the GalMap, but when you search for them, they have a '(Planetary Nebula)' next to their name?

Last edited:
Top Bottom